Dramatic footage captures the moment a man is seriously injured after a boat capsizes off Manu Bay in Raglan.
Lifeguards responded quickly to an incident involving three men early Sunday morning.
A man was taken to Waikato Hospital with serious injuries.
Matt Williams, chief executive of Surf Live Saving Northern Region (SLSNR), said on Sunday the call for common sense didn’t seem to permeate the public.
“They are incredibly lucky. Please make safe decisions for yourself and for your family and Whanau as we head into summer vacation.
Heavy rains, big waves, bluebottles, surging waves and very strong currents have reduced beach activity on the beaches of the west coast of the Northern Region.
But rather than take conditions into account before people use the shoreline, Williams said they continued to take risks.
“Surf lifeguards are not meant to replace common sense.
“We need the public to work with us to ensure we have a safe and happy summer after last year’s beach drowning tragedy.
“The last thing we want is to look out for someone else’s lack of judgment and thus be unable to respond to serious emergencies.”
beach safety message
- Choose a beach patrolled by surf lifeguards and swim between the flags
- Read and understand safety signs – ask your surf lifeguard for advice as conditions can change regularly
- Do not overestimate your ability or your children’s ability to handle the situation
- Always be on the lookout for very young children in or near water. Always keep it within reach.
- Swim with friends – don’t swim or surf alone
- Watch out for rip currents. It may go away from shore.If caught in a rip current, remember the 3Rs: *Relax and float, *Hands up *Rip on the rip
- Be smart around rocks: never turn your back on the water when fishing and always wear a life jacket
- If in doubt, please refrain!
- If you see someone in need, call 111 and report it to the police.
- Protect your skin and eyes from the sun’s harmful rays by slipping, sliding, tapping, and wrapping.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/300762447/three-men-incredibly-lucky-after-boat-capsized-near-raglan.html Three men were ‘incredibly lucky’ after their boat capsized near Raglan