Police this week informed the families of 29 Pike River mine victims that plans are underway to drill 10 more boreholes at the mine.
As part of the ongoing criminal investigation into the initial explosion at the Pike River Mine on November 19, 2010, the decision was made to conduct further drilling at the mine after police consulted with a panel of mine experts. I was.
Detective superintendent Peter Reed said the family he spoke to Wednesday was surprised by the decision to conduct further borehole drilling, but was grateful for the opportunity it offered in terms of gathering evidence.
“The previous borehole drilling operation, which took place between June 2021 and March 2022, provided police with valuable information informing an investigation into the underground activity that led to the initial explosion at the mine,” Reed said. say.
Over the past four months, the investigative team and mine expert panel have reviewed the evidence gathered so far.
This review established that further borehole drilling was essential to ensure that the investigative team had all the information necessary to reach a definitive conclusion about the cause of the initial explosion.
“The families of the 29 men who went missing in the mine have been waiting for answers for a long time. I know very well that there is,” said Detective Reed.
“However, the decision also provides some reassurance to the families that the police are committed to investigating as much as humanly possible into the cause of the initial explosion at the mine. I hope.”
Police are in preliminary conversations with the Department of Conservation and are moving forward with a formal consent process.
Published by Police Media Center
https://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/police-announce-further-borehole-drilling-pike-river-mine Police announce further borehole drilling at Pike River Mine