Choosing a desk for the workplace is always important because it affects both your performance and your health. The issue is that many people either do not have enough space for a full-fledged desktop or are dissatisfied with the parameters of their table tops.
As a result, creating a customized desktop that perfectly suits your needs becomes the best option.
There are numerous options for small spaces. All you have to do is pick the best option and start putting the plan into action:
- Niche desktops. Niches designed to accommodate cabinets are very common in apartments with an older layout. This niche is ideal for placing a small table without legs, which visually will set the office area.
- Angular panels. You can create a convenient working space for two people in the corner of any room by attaching wooden panels to the wall with metal brackets.
- Panel-transformer. One of the best options for small rooms is a table-transformer. It is made up of a desktop and foldable legs. You can easily install it anywhere and use it whenever you need to. Furthermore, it takes up almost no space.
- You can easily create a comfortable and functional table with your own hands: simply install a wooden desktop on two identical pedestals.
- Desktop on construction loops. In a matter of seconds, a desktop fixed on loops can be folded into a table.
What Are Desktops Made Out Of?
For a desktop, you can use a table top from an old desk or buy a wooden panel of the necessary size. Choosing a material also matters as it determines the degree of convenience, resistance to wear and the appearance of the future table top. Here are the most common materials used for desktops:
- Acrylic resin;
- Recycled wood;
- Natural wood (oak, teak, cherry).
How Do I Make A Desktop At Home?
Wood is undoubtedly the most environmentally friendly material. It is an excellent choice as it is safe for children and does not pollute the environment.
You can make a table top with your own hands in a simple way. If you are on a tight budget, you can use the table top of an old desk. You only need to do the following:
- Take off the desktop;
- Clear old varnish;
- Skin up to make the surface perfectly smooth;
- Trim to the desired size and shape;
- Cover with new varnish and let dry.
Another way to make a desktop is to purchase the necessary materials and modify them to your liking:
- Select the best wood;
- Purchasea special blank known as a semifinished product;
- Buy antiseptic impregnation;
- Cut the table top to the required size;
- Straighten the surface with a chimney;
- Ground each surface element with sandpaper;
- Treat with antiseptic;
- Paint or varnish it.
Whatever room the desktop is set up in, it can look incredibly stylish and will be a great addition to the interior.