New Zealand

Honeymoon strangler Rodney Fallowfield expresses remorse at the first probation hearing

Rodney Fallowfield’s attorney says he agrees that he cannot be released from prison if he has not yet undergone treatment. Photo / Provided, File

A man from Balclutha who strangled his partner to death on his honeymoon says he is “truly sorry” and will live with guilt forever.

A jury found Rodney Stuart Fallowfield, 54, not guilty of the murder of Shirley Alaina Reedy after a trial before the Invercargill High Court last year.

He was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to four years and three months.

Fallowfield first led the Parole Board last month, but acknowledged that he could not be released because he had not yet received treatment.

Panel host Serina Bailey said the Invercargill prison inmate “appeared genuinely remorseful” during the hearing.

“Fallowfield committed to the board and said he wanted to do the counseling sessions and was ready to take any other recommended courses,” he said.

“He confirmed to the board that he was truly sorry for what had happened and will have to live with his guilt forever.”

Rodney Stuart Fallowfield and Shirley Alaina Reedy on their wedding day in 2020. Photo / Supplied, File
Rodney Stuart Fallowfield and Shirley Alaina Reedy on their wedding day in 2020. Photo / Supplied, File

Fallowfield killed Reedy in a Te Anau motel on May 15, 2020, during a belated honeymoon after they got married in April of the previous year.

He agreed to be responsible for his death, but the question of intentions was the critical question for the jury.

The Crown argued that Fallowfield strangled the victim because he wanted to silence her when she threatened him with a rape charge, while the defense said he “tripped” but did not intend his actions to be fatal.

The Parole Board heard that the detainee had been deemed “unsafe to participate in group activities” and would instead undertake individual counseling.

Rodney Fallowfield on the first day of his High Court jury trial in Invercargill. Photo / Luisa Girao, dossier
Rodney Fallowfield on the first day of his High Court jury trial in Invercargill. Photo / Luisa Girao, dossier

A correctional officer at the hearing said there were no concerns about Fallowfield’s behavior and that he was on a waiting list for a job behind bars.

Bailey noted that the man’s criminal record included assaults, attempted arson, driving issues, dishonesty, and burglary.

The Otago Daily Times, following Fallowfield’s conviction, revealed evidence of a previous strangulation that the jury did not hear.

The woman involved said Fallowfield attacked her after she had trouble getting drugs, verbally abused her and then choked her.

She remembered recovering as he stood on top of her.

“He told me he thought he killed me. He told me I lost consciousness and started having a seizure. I don’t know how long I was unconscious.”

Fallowfield will appear again in front of the Parole Board in July next year.

Honeymoon strangler Rodney Fallowfield expresses remorse at the first probation hearing

SourceHoneymoon strangler Rodney Fallowfield expresses remorse at the first probation hearing

Back to top button