Dunedin’s cricket player, who attacked two opponents, was banned from taking the field for three and a half years.
According to the Otago Cricket Association (OCA), the ban on William John Campbell was one of the strictest in New Zealand’s cricket history, but it provided little comfort to the victims.
The 58-year-old, who was playing Campbell’s “Mad Magpie” on January 25, when the explosion broke out, said he expected a more severe penalty.
“Ignore one of the other players, but ignore the other of the referees,” he said.
“It wonders what you have to do to get a ban on life.”
The association confirmed that Campbell did not attend the OCA Code of Conduct hearing last month and refused to engage in disciplinary action at any stage.
He was guarding the ticket gate at Bayfield Park when the incident happened.
Campbell argued with the referee (a member of the opposing team), who called Wide and continued the “tilade” when the player moved to the square leg at the end of the over.
When prompted by others to calm down, he instead confronted the 53-year-old referee and demanded that he “clean up the matter here and now.”
The batting victim intervened and told Campbell to continue the game.
He pushed the player into his face below and then hit the referee’s head.
The game was abandoned and Campbell later pleaded guilty to two assaults in the Dunedin District Court.
He was sentenced to 60 hours of community service and 9 months of supervision.
But that wasn’t the end of his legal affairs.
Campbell has been charged with violating his community activity ruling and is allegedly unable to stand up to complete his time and will be re-declared next month.
Andrew Petrie, OCA General Manager of Community Cricket, defended Campbell’s stand-down length.
“We believe that cricket has zero tolerance for in-game physical abuse and the penalties imposed reflect this,” he said.
“OCA continues to encourage participants to play within the spirit of the game and is currently working with sports organizations and their partners in other regions to promote positive action.”
Despite the blunder, the victim said he and his companions would rejoin the team in this summer’s competition, which is set to begin in the coming weeks.
He was convinced his team wouldn’t be drawn to Mad Magpie, but was skeptical of Campbell’s ban.
“What’s another thing I’m interested in [the OCA] Do it to force it. There is no doubt that he will appear and play. “
Campbell’s suspension dates back to the time of the crime and means that he may return to whites by July 2024.
-Rob Kidd, ODT
Dunedin cricketer gets historic ban after violent explosion
Source link Dunedin cricketer gets historic ban after violent explosion